Come be a part of the longest, largest & oldest recreational bicycle touring event in the world!
What started as a casual bike ride across Iowa with just a few friends back in 1973, RAGBRAI will now be celebrating its 48th year this July 19-25, 2020! Taking place right in our own backyard, we welcome you to come along and experience this week-long ride full of a lifetime of memories!
Bike Burlington is currently accepting registration for the (100) spots it has available. Early registration is encouraged as spots fill quickly.
Interested In Traveling with Bike Burlington?
Click HERE for more registration information!
Packing Requirements & Tips:
- Limit luggage to 3 pieces (includes all gear, sleeping bag & tent)
- Do not use plastic totes, trash bags or cans. Duffle bags work best!
- Pack each day’s clothing together in an individual, Ziploc bag (push air out when sealing).This keeps clothes protected, dry from rain & dew, and makes them easy to find together each day.
Bike Drop-Off & Transportation:
- Bring your bicycle to Bickel’s Cycling & Fitness by 6p.m. Thursday, July 16th or 4p.m. Friday, July 17th (the earlier, the better) to be safely secured for transport. Please Note – if you bring your bike Saturday morning (if there is room), it will go into the storage unit under the charter bus. Your bike is at a significantly greater risk of being damaged being transported this way; this is not recommended.
A Note from Bike Burlington's RAGBRAI Coordinator
As we have found over the years, with so many people participating in RAGBRAI, it’s nice to have the personalized support & camaraderie of a bike club when experiencing this incredible, 7-day journey. I hope this FAQ below answers most of your questions. If you need any further information, please contact me anytime.
Bike Burlington RAGBRAI XLVIII Coordinator
Email: BikeBurlingtonRagbrai@gmail.com & Cell: (319) 572-2120
What does the Bike Burlington Transportation & Support Fee get me?
- Roundtrip, rider transportation is provided in an air-conditioned, charter bus that will leave from and return to Bickel’s Cycling & Fitness in West Burlington, IA (taking riders to the starting RAGBRAI town and departing from the ending RAGBRAI town). A U-Haul is also rented for the transportation of bicycles & gear.
- Parking for the week is FREE (in the lot behind Bickel’s Cycling & Fitness).
- Bike Burlington will transport your luggage the entire week, find and set up the campsite daily, and will clearly mark the bike route, guiding you directly to the campsite. Campsite canopy & chairs will also be provided. Every rider is responsible for setting up his/her own tent.
- A generator is provided at the campsite to recharge cell phones and other electronic devices.
- Bike Burlington has an experienced bike mechanic that travels with them for service, repairs and adjustments.
- Cold Drinks (including pop, water, Gatorade & alcoholic beverages) will be provided at the campsite. Please note - a Bike Burlington wristband will be needed to get beverages; this wristband is included in your transportation and support fee. No additional cash &/or drink tickets will be necessary.
- The bike club will have a meet and greet meal that Saturday night before the ride begins Sunday morning. This gives everyone a chance to mingle and meet the club’s RAGBRAI director, four camp assistants and hired support team.
How many people go with Bike Burlington?
- Bike Burlington takes approximately 100 people on RAGBRAI every year. Early registration is encouraged as spots fill quickly!
I want to travel with Bike Burlington! Where do I get my Transportation & Support Application?
- Great! Visit www.bikeburlington.org/ragbrai
Do I need a club membership to travel with Bike Burlington? If so, where do I get an application?
- Yes! Annual membership is $20 (Single) or $30 (Family). Visit www.bikeburlington.org/ragbrai
Besides RAGBRAI, what are other club membership benefits?
- Members have access to the club’s website, which includes upcoming events and rides. There’s a monthly club meeting with free beverages provided, as well as the annual birthday party! Bike Burlington is also most notably known for its weekly Wednesday Night Dinner Rides (April– October) where riders bike together to a neighboring town for a meal and then are bused back on the club’s school bus (with attached bicycle trailer).
Okay, I’m registered with Bike Burlington! Now, where do I register for RAGBRAI?
- Visit Ragbrai.com. Create an account (or login if you already have one). If you wish to travel with Bike Burlington, register with the club using Group 11. This is where you get your wristband, as well as, the option to purchase your RAGBRAI jersey (imprinted on the side with Bike Burlington instead of the Des Moines Register) at a discount of $55 vs. the normal rate of $65. Please note – you cannot go back to redeem your discount at a later time.
Who do I pay & when is it due?
- You pay Bike Burlington and The Register. For your RAGBRAI Rider Fee (wristband), you will pay at www.ragbrai.com. For your Bike Burlington Membership and Transportation Fee (drink wristband), you will pay at http://www.bikeburlington.org/ragbrai. You may also pay your Bike Burlington Membership & Transportation Fee via check and mail to:
P.O. Box 1135
Burlington, IA 52601
- Here’s the breakdown:
- Des Moines Register’s Rider Fee ($175) – due February 20th
- RAGBRAI Jersey – if chosen - ($55) – due February 20th
- Any other RAGBRAI Items - due February 20th
- Bike Burlington Membership Fee ($20 Single or $30 Family) – due February 20th
- Bike Burlington RAGBRAI Transportation & Support Fee (includes beverage wristband):
- $250 if paid before March 31st (bus seat guaranteed)
- $275 if paid after March 31st – due May 1st
- $35 Daily Rate if paid before March 31st
- $40 Daily Rate if paid after March 31st (does not include bus transportation, however if you need a bus ride one direction, contact Tyler)
What if I miss the RAGBRAI registration deadline?
- Try not to! If RAGBRAI waivers & club fees are not turned into the Des Moines Register by March 1st, any pending order is cancelled & you will have to reapply into a lottery system for a chance to get a ticket.
I missed the deadline to sign-up with Bike Burlington but I DID get a RAGBRAI ticket! Is it too late to go with you?!
- It likely won’t be a problem! Come on ahead & join us! Again, the transportation & support application can be found at www.bikeburlington.org/ragbrai. Please contact Tyler Bickel to make arrangements.
I can’t go after all! Now what?!
- We will do our very best to help you out, but Bike Burlington does not issue refunds on wristbands. We will try to help you sell your wristband, but we can’t make any guarantees. As for the transportation & support fee, the deadline for requesting a refund is May 31st. Again, anything after this date, we will do our best to help you sell your spot, but we can’t make any guarantees.
Packed & Ready!
Suggested RAGBRAI Equipment Checklist
Obviously, you need a bike! Have one? Great! Make sure to get it professionally serviced prior to your travels. On-the-road repairs are at a premium price! Don't have a bike? We can get you fitted with the best!
Once your bike is squared away, you will find that some basic biking essentials will see you safely & comfortably through your memorable adventures ahead.
Come on by the shop & we'll help you get ready for the ride of your life! In the meantime, we've created a list that you can use as an easy reference.